4.18.2006

WE'RE DEBT FREE!!!!!!

Update from original post.

We're posting this as encouragement, not to brag. We just want to encourage anyone who reads this that if personal finance is a struggle and a source of tension, there is relief. In June 2005, Brandi and I discovered some GREAT information about personal finance and decided to put it to practice. The information in this book changed our perception about personal finances.

As of April 18, 2006, we are debt free except the mortgage! How did this happen? SACRIFICE! We had to cut back our lifestyle. My personality is borderline A.D.D. I don't stay interested in many things for too long. I like to dive deep into something for a short burst of time and then I'm ready to eject very soon after starting. But, this getting out of debt thing stuck with me. The way I see it, if God put this burden on my heart this strong, this burden that contradicts my personality and behaviors, it must be important. It feels especially comforting to know that we will be free to meet any financial need that comes up for Jada without going into debt.

It wasn't all roses and candy. After 10 months of doing this Brandi revealed to me at times, she felt a little constricted. I confessed I was too hardcore and went a little overboard and I didn't communicate well enough to make her feel comfortable. That was potentially a big mistake, because her vote counts in our marriage! I need her input, her wisdom. Thankfully, we ironed it out and we're moving forward, a little wiser. After 16+ years, we're still learning, still growing.

It was really difficult, but looking at what we've accomplished and the opportunities that are available to us now, it is so worth it. It really feels great to have this freedom and really encourage everyone that the months of pain will produce a lifetime of peace.

Alot of people made fun of us, and we missed out on some things, but we'll far better off in the long run.

I'd like to publically thank Brandi. Like so many times before, she trusted me, supported me and walked this path with me, even when the execution wasn't perfect. Thanks so much for your heart. Your strength and love for me encourages me and enables me to do things I couldn't do by myself. "Many women do noble things, but you surpass them all." Proverbs 31:29.

1 Comments:

At 9:09 PM, Blogger danohlerking said...

gered - i'm both inspired and challenged. great post.

and as for the end note about the wife - you "married up" (so did i) - y'all are a great blessing to have on this team at hpc.

(thanks for the link, too.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counter
Free Site Counter